Email: Rick@IPRlaw.com; Phone: 408.821.8080
Rick Gregory has been practicing patent law in Silicon Valley and Texas for over 20 years. As a former engineer and scientist, Rick provides counsel to high-tech clients and emerging growth companies, with particular emphasis in the areas of electrical arts, medical devices and life sciences. Rick’s practice covers all aspects of patent portfolio strategy, development, management and analysis. Rick’s ability to take a holistic view of his client’s business and assess their IP portfolio from this vantage point comes from his background as a businessman as well as 15 years of hands-on experience as a scientist and engineer.
His career in intellectual property law includes practice at the following Silicon Valley firms: Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati; Blakely, Sokoloff, Taylor & Zafman; and Perkins Coie. Rick was also a founding and managing partner in Shemwell & Gregory, Courtney Staniford & Gregory, and Gregory & Sawrie.
Prior to practicing law, Rick held numerous research and development positions with the United States Air Force and the United States Navy as both an active duty military officer, and civil servant. Rick’s technical expertise also includes research and development positions with early-stage medical device companies. Rick is an accomplished pilot holding Airline Transport Pilot and Certified Flight Instructor certificates for Airplanes and Helicopters as well as numerous other FAA licenses. Rick also has extensive experience as a flight test engineer and flight test pilot.
- Juris Doctorate, University of Florida, 1996
- Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, University of Florida, 1994
- Master of Science, Systems Management, University of Southern California, 1987
- Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1985
- Bachelor of Science, Chemistry and Biology, Florida State University, 1981
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals; Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court; Northern District of California